So I kinda knew ahead of time getting my domains off GoDaddy was going to be a horribly shitty ordeal so I’d put it off for as long as possible. I started the transfer process two weeks ago and I’m still waiting for the transfers to complete. I know it’s not all GoDaddy’s fault. The process shouldn’t be so easy that a malicious user could grab your domain but GoDaddy is clearly putting some unnecessary hidden roadblocks in the way. Here is what I learned from this experience and hopefully it might help you get off GoDaddy:
My new registrar of choice is Namecheap. They seem legit (for now at least).
- Get your “Authorization Code” from Godaddy. You can find this code on your “Domain Details” page.
- TURN OFF private registration for your domain here. If you’re unsure of your username and password search your email history for: [subject: Welcome to Domains By Proxy!]. If you cannot find the original email just reset it.
- Request domain transfer on Namecheap here. During this process make sure you enter your “Authorization Code.”
- Check the email registered to the domain for an authorization request.
- The last step is to perform the “accept domain transfer” here on GoDaddy’s website which they have hidden.